I’ve just returned from a beach vacation on the coast of North Carolina with my family. I never bank on eating airport food when I fly because there’s rarely any real-food options. So I always come prepared with lots of snacks and a packed lunch, if necessary. The snacks I brought on this trip are pictured here. Beef jerky, almond butter packets, home-made kale chips, SeaSnax nori treats (toasted with olive oil instead of processed oils) and my Suped Up Trail Mix. I also packed a lunch of Turkey Ranch Nori Wraps.
My Suped Up Trail Mix is chock full of goodness!
- Walnuts for their essential omega-3 fatty acids
- Brazil nuts for their selenium
- Cocoa for it’s flavonols
- Almonds, well, because they’re the king of nuts!
- Pumpkin seeds for zinc
- Superfruits goldenberries and mulberries
Here’s the recipe:
1 cup blanced almonds
- To blanch the almonds: Add almonds to boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Strain and submerge in ice water. Drain and rub between 2 towels to remove skins.
- Lemon-Herb nuts: Melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Add the blanched almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of chopped lemon zest, several sprigs of rosemary and/or thyme, chopped (optional) and 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- Toasted Pumpkin Seeds:
- Spread 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees until just starting to brown. Remove from oven and mix with 2 teaspoons of coconut aminos.